Leadership & Ethics
2021 Cove Competition: Reflections on Learning to LeadBy The Cove September 1, 2021
At The Cove this year we've been talking a lot about reflection. Reflective Practice is the foundation upon which your learning should be considered and periodically reviewed. Through this process, you will validate your thinking and adapt and evolve your considerations as circumstances, awareness or technologies change. The first edition of Cove+ Compact is all about reflective practice. The Reflective Journal App (and hard copy) is available to you all and the first unit of Cove+ is the Reflective Practice module. We also love receiving and publishing your reflective articles. To coincide with the launch of Cove+ Compact we want your Reflections on Learning to Lead for The Cove Competition this year.
Reflections on Learning to Lead
- Competition begins: 01 September 2021
- Submissions close: 2359h on 30 September 2021
- Winners announced: 18 October 2021
- Open to: Everyone
- Length: 500 – 1000 words or a 5-7 minute media file (podcast, video, narrated PowerPoint)
- Must include: “Cove Competition” in the title
- Media type: word doc, ppt, mp4, mp3
- File size: 250Mb
- Submission: 'Make a submission' button in the top right corner of The Cove website. (Contact soldiercove [at] gmail.com for guidance if your file exceeds the size limit)
- Other: Contact the Cove Team if you have any questions regarding your submission
The top three submissions will receive a limited-edition Cove Coin and Cove pack, plus:
- 1st prize: $3,000 for a PME / PD conference attendance including travel.
- 2nd prize: 12 months Audible subscription and a $300 gift voucher to Booktopia.
- 3rd prize: 6 months Audible subscription and a $200 gift voucher to Booktopia.
- A four person judging panel will be formed to assess a shortlist of the best articles and award the prizes. Judges include:
- Director Army Education - COL Anita Rynne
- Public Affairs Officer HQ FORCOMD @ Channel 7 Journalist - CAPT Mark Beretta
- RSM 2 Div / JTF629 - WO1 Darren Murch
- Centre for Australian Army Leadership Representative - Name TBC
- Presentation: quality of writing, or other multimedia (rank appropriate)
- Relevance: value of your lessons to Army
- Insight: depth of reflection
Judges will use this marking guide.
Submissions are not required to adhere to Defence Writing Manual styles.
Through 2021 The Cove and the Centre For Australian Army Leadership have partnered to bring you content around leadership development. Here are a few topic areas that we'd love to see reflections on:
- Ethical decision making
- Moral courage
- Contributory dissent
- Critical thinking
- Systems thinking
- Understanding Self: the importance of self-awareness, mindfulness and/or compassion.
No time to waste! Start reflecting and share your thoughts with the wider force!