Reading for War
Smart Soldier 55By The Cove February 25, 2019
Smart Soldier is produced by Army Knowledge Centre and publishes tactical lessons and tips for soldiers to improve their knowledge and expertise. It contains valuable lessons for all ranks. In this edition:
• Training for War: This article provides guidelines that should assist the junior leader in training for war. It covers many topics such as weapon handling, marksmanship, map reading and orders.
• Portraying features on a map: Symbology is an integral part of maps and how soldiers understand and use them. This article provides an understanding for how map features are portrayed.
• DATE Identification: Demonstrate your knowledge of DATE with another challenge and win a military history book.
• Dunkirk – a few insights for modern soldiers: This article takes a look ‘behind the beaches’ of Dunkirk to find and share historical lessons from the withdrawal, perimeter defence, supporting force and more. • 21 secrets of success I learned from working with the military’s best generals: Jason Howk reflects on the successful attributes the Generals he worked for exhibited. You will be surprised by how well these tips apply to all ranks.
• Taipan – combat recovery and air assault cabin configuration: CPL Johnson provides guidance on the cabin configuration of the Multi Role Helicopter 90 Taipan.
• App in Review: This article reviews the Worldwide Equipment Guide 2015 app.
• Modernising Land Doctrine: Find out the latest on your doctrine.
• Quick Decision Exercise: This QDE provides a UAV incident you need to resolve.