The Little Book on Big StrategyBy The Cove May 16, 2019
'Strategic Theory for the 21st Century: The Little Book on Big Strategy' is an excellent resource written by Harry Yarger. The document in its entirety comprehensively explains the concept of strategy, however at 83 pages, it may be a little long to absorb. So there are a few key areas to focus on within the six chapters for those who don't have a lot of time on their hands:
- pp 1-3: an explanation of what strategy is in simple terms
- pp 47-48: clarification that strategy is not the same as planning
- pp 48-55: a detailed look at objectives (ends) which explain what is to be accomplished: getting them right is what matters most
- pp 55-60: focuses on developing strategic concepts (ways) which explain how the objectives are to be accomplished by the employment of the instruments of power
- pp 60-62: looks at resources (means) in strategy formation in order to determine the types and levels of resources that are necessary to support the concepts of strategy
- pp 66-68: examines the 15 assumptions and premises of strategy
- pp 69-70: a more condensed version of strategy through 'ends, ways and means'
This publication comes highly recommended by a number of our academic experts in understanding strategy, so be sure to take a look at the recommended sections.