On 16 Sep 2022, 1 Brigade held the Human Performance Optimisation (HPO) Symposium at the Darwin Convention Centre. The event was hosted by Charlie King, AM.
From building a bulletproof performance mindset to identifying the trends and direction of current health research, hear from the experts on how to achieve optimal health to benefit you and your team. The event is designed to facilitate your knowledge on the three domains of human performance optimisation: the physical, cognitive and socio-cultural domains.
The 1 Brigade HPO Symposium featured presentations by:
- LTCOL Jacqueline Costello, informed us of the current direction of HPO in FORCOMD and allowed us to understand what exactly HPO is.
- DR Mick Drew, the director of Defence Health Research at Joint Capabilities Group identified trends and the direction of current research.
- LT Joanne Stannard, a PhD candidate, discussed her studies on the pivotal role that the junior leader has on human performance and the findings from her research with 5 RAR and 7 RAR. This recording is not available, please contact the Cove Team for additional information.
- MAJ Emma Williams, discussed HPO across Army and her experience as a physiotherapist within Army.
- Curtis McGrath OAM, former 1 Bde soldier and gold medal athlete provided an opportunity to hear a lived experience discussion from one of Australia's favourite athletes.
- Rosie Stanimirovic, from the Australian Institute of Sport discussed athletes hijacked moments, with insights on how this phenomena may translate onto the battlefield.
- CAPT Angela Uphill, discussed her research into nutrition and performance in a high-stress environment with SOCOMD.
- Katie Maloney, RSL QLD informed us of the support networks and programs in place to assist and maintain performance of those transitioning.
Thank you to all who attended in-person and online, the questions asked generated thought-provoking discussion. The event was livestreamed here on The Cove, check out the presentations from the Seminar below.
Introduction & Welcome to Country by Charlie King AM, Commander 1 Bde Brigadier Foxall AM, DSM, and Nicole Brown.
Triumph Over Tragedy by Curtis McGrath, OAM
Mind – Body – Teams – Tools: Human Performance Optimisation in Forces Command by Lieutenant Colonel Jacqueline Costello
Human Performance in AHQ by Major Emma Williams
Human Performance in SOCOMD by Captain Angela Uphill
Current Trends in Performance Optimisation by Dr Michael Drew
Partnerships with RSL QLD by Katie Maloney
Optimising Mental Performance in Competition by Rose Stanimirovic
Plenary Session with Symposium guests