Innovation and Adaptation
Chief of Army's Award for Instructional ExcellenceBy The Cove November 25, 2021
Earlier this year SGT Joshua Foster was awarded the Chief of Army Award for Instructional Excellence for demonstrating how effective approaches to learning design can enhance student learning experience and outcomes. Carefully analysing course teaching points, combined with confidence in his subject matter expertise, SGT Foster was able to select an appropriate learning strategy to improve the Basic Combat Communications Course (BCCC) and Battle Management System (BMS) Courses.
SGT Foster facilitated the BCCC to become a self-paced program and used gamification and role play to enhance learning on the BMS course. Importantly, SGT Foster ensured the modifications made to the courses and training approach still assured achievement of the learning outcome, and support and feedback during student learning remained continuous and instantaneous. By combining his instructional experience, tertiary education and passion for continuous improvement, SGT Foster has made a significant contribution to Army's training transformation. His story demonstrates how creative thinking and dedication can lead to tangible outcomes towards developing Army's Future Ready Training System.
To hear more about how Army's 2020 Instructor of the Year, SGT Joshua Foster, approached revitalising current training approaches watch this 4 minute video, which also provides practical tips for all instructors looking to enhance student learning experiences.
If you are looking to improve learning design, enhance student experiences or engage in some instructional professional development, see our suggested resources below to get you started.
Available on ADELE(U):
Note: users must log-on to ADELE(U) first to access the hyperlinks provided.
- Army's Instructor Development Portal https://www.adele.edu.au/course/view.php?id=7007. This includes packages for Instructor Enhancement, Delivering Online and Publications and Resources. Contact your local Army Education Centre for further guidance and assistance.
- Designing for ADELE, Designing for Learning: https://www.adele.edu.au/mod/
bigbluebuttonbn/proxy_ presentation.php/playback/ presentation/2.3/ a965cad684c8f970f76e5d9c7a410e be6e811f7b-1627419926113/
- Video Production Guide: https://www.adele.edu.au/
- Cove+ Army's Professional Development Program:
- Learning Cluster- STEM: Information Technology: AR and VR in Training
- Learning Cluster- Leadership, Ethics and Society: Teaching, Learning and Working in Culturally Diverse Environments
- Learning Cluster- Art and Science of Thinking: Critical Thinking and Problem Solving; Creative Thinking, Innovation & Problem Solving;or Cognitive Processes
- Instructional Design- Adult Learners
- Learning to Teach online
- How to Design and Deliver Training Programs
- How to escape education's death valley
- Do schools kill creativity?
- TED Interview - Sir Ken Robinson (still) wants am education revolution