This edition of Professional Military Education (PME) looks at self-awareness and emotional intelligence
Firstly, start by watching this video by Daniel Goleman on the importance of developing self-awareness. Next, watch this video by Daniel Goleman on what it takes to be a great leader. Finally, read this short article on the key components of emotional intelligence. (Please note that the links provided will direct you to YouTube which cannot be viewed on DPN).
For a more in depth look at self-awareness and emotional intelligence in the Australian Army, read the following articles:
- Why Understanding Yourself and Others as a Leader is Important by Laura Hando
- Leadership in Focus: Emotional Intelligence, Leadership and Resilience by Jason Moriarty
- Leadership – Developing the Emotionally Intelligent Soldier by Jai Lawther
- Training Violence, Teaching Emotional Intelligence: Dichotomies in the Modern Warfighter (2021 Cove Competition) by Madison Lang
Here is another article which outlines the twelve elements of emotional intelligence to help you better understand how you can improve your own emotional intelligence.
- Do you agree with Daniel Goleman on the importance of emotional intelligence and self awareness?
- When do you think emotional intelligence is most important? Or is it important in every scenario?
- Do you have an example of a commander, leader, peer or subordinate who you considered to have high emotional intelligence? Which traits did they exhibit? Did you enjoy working with them? How well did they communicate with people?
- Do you have an example of a commander, leader, peer or subordinate who you considered to have low emotional intelligence? Which traits did they exhibit? Did you enjoy working with them? How well did they communicate with people?
- Do you have an example of a commander, leader, peer, subordinate or trainee who you considered to have low self-awareness? Which traits did they exhibit? Did you enjoy working with them? Did this lack of self-awareness affect the way other people saw them?
- Do you think you can increase your emotional intelligence and self-awareness? If so, how? If not, why not?
- How important do you think self-awareness and emotional intelligence is in being a soldier, NCO, WO or officer?
- Do we do enough to train our leaders on self-awareness and emotional intelligence?
If you enjoyed this activity, why not try the other PME activities available on The Cove?
Want more material? For JNCOs to conduct with their soldiers, here is a link to our Quick Military Education resources. For Junior Officers here is a link to our Junior Officer PME sessions.
If you have suggestions for improvements – additional readings or reference material, alternative discussion points, new delivery methods – or just wish to provide feedback, please contact The Cove Team via email@example.com.
Here are the Facilitator Notes for this PME.