Having seen the popularity of The Cove's Tips for Commanding Officers page, we've decided to dig into our back catalogue and put together a similar resource for sub-unit commanders. The links below are specific for sub-unit command and include reflections and guidance to help you best prepare for what will be the most important appointment of your career so far.
- Reflections of a Company Command Team by Mark Tutton
- I've Made it Through the First Few Months as an OC – What Do I Do Now? by Nathan Pierpoint
- Reflecting on Part Time Sub-Unit Command by Aaron Jackson (note: worth a read for ARA)
- Leadership vs Likership by Robert Gibson
- Who am I? Where am I? What am I doing? A Leadership Reflection by Mick Janssen
- A Hundred Hints for Company Officers by Duncan Foster
- Train Sets and Command – Mind the Gap by Aaron Newfield
- Musings of a Major: What’s Next After Sub-Unit Command? by Jared Slansky
- Sub-Unit Command Reflections by Christopher Bulow
- TSS Squadron Commander Reflection – 5 Avn Regt by Carl Fester
Army Knowledge Centre – Sub-Unit Command Handbook 2021
In 2021 Army Knowledge Centre released an updated Sub-Unit Command Handbook. This is a handy guide compiled from observations from OCs and SMs who have worked in a sub-unit HQ. The guide is divided into six parts:
- Preparation for Sub-Unit Command
- Getting Established
- Ready Now and Future Ready
- Common Issues and Solutions
- Dealing with Significant Issues
Find it here: Sub-Unit Command Handbook 2021.
We wish those undertaking their sub-unit command the very best for their postings. We'd love it if those who have experienced sub-unit command write a reflection and advice for others.