It takes considerable staff effort to successfully train, exercise and conduct operations. As a result, a considerable proportion of Army’s workforce are posted into staff and command support roles each year. At The Cove, we've had many people write about their experiences in staff and command support appointments. We know you’ll be short on time in your staff appointment, so we've created a collection of articles and documents categorised by the roles they are most relevant to. We hope they assist you for the busy year ahead.
All Staff Appointments:
- Flirting with the Churn Curve – Nathan Coultis
- The Unofficial Staff Officer Guide Book – Claire Pearson
- The Benefits of Brevity – Emma Watson (originally published on Grounded Curiosity)
- How to Fail as a Staff Officer – Nate Stratton (originally published on The Military Leader)
- Lessons Learnt as a SERCAT 7 in the 2nd Division – Grant Donald
- That Upcoming Posting to ADFHQ? A+ – Jason Logue
Formation Level HQ:
SNCO and WO in a HQ:
- Tips for Staff Working in a Formation HQ – A SNCO and WO Perspective (Part 1) – Jai Wright and Shane Robertson
- Tips for Staff Working in a Formation HQ – A SNCO and WO Perspective (Part 2) – Daniel Trew and Zachary Williams
Unit/BG Level HQ:
- Seagull’s “How to Make CPs and Alienate the Enemy” – Tips From and Battle Group Operations Officer – Dan Ellis
Command Support Roles:
- Can You Still Demonstrate Leadership Whilst in a Staff Appointment? – James King (originally published on The Military Leader)
- Insights from Command Staff – produced by Army Lessons, Army Knowledge Centre. It contains experiential lessons, reflections and key insights for those undertaking Command Support roles such as Sub Unit Second-in-Command, Unit Adjutant, Sub Unit Sergeant Major or Platoon Sergeant.
- Reflections on Key Appointments – The Adjutant – Mick Janssen
Consider writing a reflection to The Cove upon finishing your staff role, so others can learn from your experience. The Cove wishes you the best in your staff appointment.