Contemporary Operating Environment
7 Brigade Hybrid Warfare Symposium: Brigadier RawlinsBy The Cove March 13, 2017
In this next video from the 7th Brigade Hybrid Warfare Symposium, Brigadier Rawlins, the Brigade Commander, shares his key lessons from the experience as OPFOR on Ex HAMEL 16. He also discusses his work as part of a coalition force fighting a conventional enemy using hybrid tactics at the Army Warfighting Assessment (AWA) in the USA.
Whilst not wanting to steal his thunder we can tell you that he believes Sun Tzu's theory on shaping the enemy is as applicable today as it was 2500 years ago. On both HAMEL 16 and AWA deception was vital to shaping the environment.
Having been both OPFOR and part of a coalition force the lessons Brigadier Rawlins shares in this video provide something for all that are on the Road to TS 17.
It might be worth thinking about the following:
- How do you conduct deception planning? Are you a cunning and creative organisation? How well does our doctrine support this?
- The USMC 'Iron Ranger Rules of Combat' state 'fight the enemy, not the plan'. How well do you think you do this?
- What do you do if you fail to achieve air superiority? What options exist to overcome this relative disadvantage?
- How can you use the local population to your advantage? What rules govern this?
- How will you 'hide in plain sight', especially as part of a high-tech, medium weight force?